Friday, July 8, 2011

You know when your mother told you . . .

. . . not to play with the glassware?  This is why [not for the weak of heart]:

















 So, here is the story.  On Wednesday, we went out to dinner as a group (or, as most of the group) to a restaurant on the end of the Tiber Island.  There's a summer festival going on called Lungo il Tevere Roma, so there is a lot of little shops, restaurants, and bars along the river and on the Tiber Island.  So, dinner on the Tiber Island, a (maybe not quite, but possibly) once in a lifetime experience.


It was good.  The food was nice; it was pretty awesome being on the end of the island where usually you can't go; they had pretty lights shining on the remains of the Pons Aemilianus.  However, it took FOREVER for the check to come.  It's relatively standard for the check to take a little while (you have to ask for it and then the waiters are often leisurely in returning with it).  But this was ridiculous.  20 minutes went by.  30 minutes.  45 minutes.  Our waiter was waiting other tables, but barely even glancing at us.  We asked other waiters who went by.  Finally about an hour went by.  So, getting a little bored, we started building water bottle towers.  (And by we, I mostly mean Catherine and I.)  Then we added in a wine glass . . . on top . . . and as we were deconstructing said tower, it toppled and I tried (in vain) to catch the glass.  Catherine made a valiant effort as well, but it shattered.  I thought I was in the clear; but alas, I was cut.  Not badly, but cut nevertheless.


The story has changed many times in the retelling (anything from me shedding blood for Catherine's illness at the shrine of Asclepius - which was on Tiber Island - to me deliberately breaking the glass in order to threaten the wait staff with bodily harm if they did not promptly bring us our check).  Rest assured, however, that you have received the true story.


I will have more Rome/Classics related posts soon; I promise.  I just wanted to update you on that exciting story.  And now, back to class . . . and then a nap.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment