Sunday, July 3, 2011

I have arriven!

I made it to Rome.  And the best part, so did my luggage!  (I wasn't originally planning on checking my bag at all, but apparently Alitalia has different weight restrictions for carry-ons than other airlines, so I didn't have a choice!)

I only had minor problems figuring out what tickets to buy & from where while attempting to get from Fiumicino to my "hotel" (I put this in quotes because, although I think it has been a hotel for a while now, it's a converted monastery and still has that feel to it).  Also, I only managed to go about two stops in the wrong direction on the tram - though I blame that on poorly labelled trams.  Why do both trams say "Argentina" when only one of them is actually going IN THE DIRECTION of Argentina?!


Oh well.  I made it.  A bit sweaty from my efforts and quite tired from sleeping maybe a total of 2 hours on the plane . . . if I'm lucky . . . and only about 1 of those hours was continuous.  However, the plane was one of those with the little screens on the back of each seat so I entertained myself by watching Unknown, playing some (not very good) games, "learning" Italian (I put that in quotes because it was mostly only words or phrases which A: I already knew from my Michel Thomas CDs or B: I could figure out from Latin and didn't need an airplane language program to tell me), and finally watching most (but not all because I ran out of time) of the Michael Keaton Batman.

Ok.  This post was not meant to be this long.  I was thinking - quick note to say I'm alive and then either nap or wander around.  However - and this may surprise you - when I get talking, I keep going.  But, now I shall sign off, since I don't think I have anything else exciting to report.

Oh, that's not true.  I am sharing a double room with a lovely lady named Debbie.  She is also a Latin teacher, but she has been teaching for 30 years (rather than just 3 like me).  I'm sure I will post pictures of our accommodations, but not now.  Like I said, napping or wandering.


Donec secundum tempus.
(Until next time)

1 comment:

  1. Inquiring minds want to know 1. The Twins were ahead of Milwaukee 7 - 0 at one point, and lost in the 9th 8 - 7. Bummer! 2. Going to Mai Village for dinner tongiht (Yay) 3. The three sisty-uglers are bicycling as we speak. 4. Weather is perfect. 5. I am happy to be the first to post a comnment.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete